Wednesday, May 9, 2007

I'm rich!

This morning, I got a $2.56 check from Donald Knuth for correcting a Unicode-related error in volume 1 fascicle 1 page 3 of The Art of Computer Programming. I'm sorry to say that the error was pretty trivial, but it was still something that needed to be fixed. Knuth accidentally said that Unicode was a 16-bit code, when it's really a 21-bit code. He also said that "Unicode" was an informal title, but that is not true, and it never really was. My mom wants to frame the check.

In more serious money-making matters, I got a job. This week, I'm signed up for 33 hours, even though APs are going on and I should be studying. This will make me enough money to buy two sets of TAoCP, though I'll probably just get one. But I'll be a bit inactive for a while. You guys will just have to survive without my undirected, topic-less rants for a while.

By the way, I've been meaning to write this for a while, but never got around to it: I'm pretty sure over, dup and dip don't form a Turing-complete language, because there is no way that the state of execution can have anything in it beyond what was literally in the code since there is no cons.

No comments: